Cefn-berth

Cefn-berth ‘ridge of the copse’, cefn, (y), perth

Click here for location map.

The Rev. Lewis Morgan of Cefn-berth’s daughter Mary married Rees Price of Bwlch Trebannau in 1733. It was a, ‘substantial house – so this was no impoverished curate one may surmise’1  In 1758 1 The Rev. Thomas Morgan, rector of Byfleet, Surrey, and Rees Price of Bwlch y trebanne, ‘Kill y Cwm, gent.’ sell ‘Ty’r keven-y-berth’ to ‘Rees Williams of Llwyn Jack, p. Llandingat, and Elizabeth,his wife’. 2

The landowner of ‘Cefnberth’ in the tithe was Mary Anne Phillips of the Brunant estate and the tenant of the 45 acre holding was William Davies.

By 1886 a grant of a part of Cefn-berth land by Richard Campbell Davys suggests that it had become part of the Neuadd-fawr estate.

Interesting field names:

Cae Ffynnon  Spring or well field.  This may have been a significant well as it is referred to in four of the field names

Cae llydiad mawr (Cae llidiart mawr) large gate field

(from the 1909 sale catalogue of the Trebannau estate)

Sources:

1. Ruth Bidgood. The Carmarthenshire Antiquary. The Prices of Abergwenlais, Bwlch Triban(n)au and Erryd, Cilycwm: a north Carmarthenshire kinship network. Issue : 43 (2007)

2. Onslow Collection of Cil-y-cwm Deeds, 1665-1758 / A. R. Onslow. NLW

13-14.

3. Neuadd Fawr 243 (NLW)