Diflyn (Deep pool)
It is likely that Divlyn is the ‘Tir Dol Gwgan’ mentioned in a document of 1668 being mortaged by a David James of Llandingat for £80, ‘with the parcels of lands therewith held called Tir John Walter, Tir y frenhines, Tir y Groft vellen, and Gweyn Rees Protherch y rhoed Rhyw y Garreg Goch, the messuage and lands called Tir havod owen, a cottage called Tir y Rhybarch, and a parcel of lands called Tir Bwlch y Forest, hamlet of Forest, parish of Llandingad, with covenant to levy a fine. Boundaries include Forest y Moswm and a river called Towyee’ 1
In 1791 Diflyn appears to have been part of the Glansevin estate is sold by Edward Pryse Lloyd to John Williams of Llwynberllan. 2
In May, 1807, John Williams sells by auction, ‘DUBLIN, or DIBLIN (formerly the residence of a gentleman’s family), and several PIECES or PARCELS of LAND, upwards of 100 Acres of Arable, Meadow, and Pasture…..They form a very com- pact and improvable property, and are well worth the attention of any gentleman desirous of residing or having a landed property in Camarthenshire. Lot. 1 (the Mansion- house.- which may be made fit for the residence of a genteel family) has a line growth of Oak, Ash, and other Trees on it, and is on the banks of the river Towy, in a country abounding with Game, and within three miles of the market- town of Llandovery, having a turnpike-road leading through the premises to that place, where the Milford Mail arrives from London every day except Tuesday, and goes for Lon- don every day except Friday; and two Stage Waggons, conveying goods to and from every part of Great-Britain, arrive twice a week.’3
In 1813 William Davys of Neuadd Fawr leased, ‘Diflin otherwise Dublin, the Forest, Cringoed, and Cwmbaddwr’ in the parish of Llandingat to ‘James Davies of Hampton Lacy, co. Warwick, gent’ for the remainder of a term of 21 years.4
In 1834 Diflyn is leased to a vicar from what later became Lampeter University, ‘The Reverend Rice Rees of Saint Davids College, co. Cardigan, clerk.’ 5
Divlyn has also been known as Dublin, Diflyn, Diflin, Dwfwnlyn. It belonged to William Rees the printer and publisher of the Tonn near Llandovery, in the tithe and the occupier of the 206 acre farm was John Davies. The Rees family owned Diflyn until the late 1940’s.6
In September 1901 the stock, machinery and household contents of Diflyn were sold by Lewis Thomas. Including, ‘MILCH Cows.-8 pure Hereford milch cows (some to calve in October). FAT CATTLE.—4 fine Hereford fat cows, in prime condition. IN-CALF HEIFERS.—5 pure Hereford two-year- old heifers in calf. STORE CATTLE.—4 pure !Hereford two-year- old steers, 12 pure Hereford calves. BULLS.—1 pedigree Hereford bull, 2 years old 1 ditto yearling ditto. HORSES AND PONIEs.-Fine bay clean-limbed horse, 15-2 h h, 5 years old, a grand worker; bay collier mare, 14-2 h h, aged, excellent worker; bay cob mare, aged, a grand trap animal: grey cob mare, do., quiet to ride cob mare, going in harness and a fast cob mare, rising 3 years old, unbroken, out of good strain strong bay colt, rising 2 years old: suckling colt by “‘Royal Empress”; 6 exceptionally fine mountain ponies, some beautifully marked, of the rare spotted strain: 2 pony sucklings. PIGS.—Large Yorkshire sow, with litter; 5 fat Pigs- SHEEP.—420 very strong cross-bred Radnor ewes, 80 do. do. Cardi. do., 60 do. do. Hill do., 30 cross-bred ewe lambs, 200 fat wethers in the pink of condition, 4 two-year-old Ryland rams, 6 lamb do. do.,4 one and two-year-old Mountain rams. Note.-The ewes are all reserved from rams. IMPLEMENTS, HARNESS, ETC Threshing machine 3 horse power (equal to new), Winnowning 2 chaffcutters (new), lime wagon, 2 carts, wood roller, 2 iron harrows, 2 iron ploughs, turnip pulper, etc. Shaft harness. DAIRY UTENSILS.—New barrel churn, milk pans, cheese vats, butter coolers, cream crocks. and other dairy utensils, together with a quantity of HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE AND EFFECTS. Luncheon on the tables at 11 o’clock a.m. Sale to commence promptly at 12 o’clock noon.’ 7
The coach house has a date of 1872, the barn 1874 and the cowshed 1875. The date over the carthouse and stable is indecipherable, but is possibly much older.
According to Walter’s father, the first 4 wheeled carriage in Carmarthenshire visited Divlyn.
Walter’s family moved there in 1910. Gilwen acquired 1945. Dudley Jones was in the Home guard.
Divlyn has a magnificent double flight oak staircase, and the dairy is in the cellar and still has churns, slate slabs etc.
Diflyn is mentioned in Thomas Nicholas’ Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (Vol 1 – 1872), ‘On the farm of Divlyn, three miles from Llandovery, there are remains of an old earthwork, or fort, near the river Towy, through which the road to Nantymwyn has been cut. Also between the old mansion of Divlyn and the Forest Hill there are traces of the Roman road from the station at Llanfairarybryn, near Llandovery, to the lead mines of Rhandir Mwyn, which road can also be traced to within a mile of the town.’ 8
Interesting field names:
Waunhesge (Waun Hesgau) Sedges meadow
Waun gull (Waun Gul) Narrow meadow
Waun ddu / Waun dew Black meadow/Rich meadow. cf. Richmond
Ddolgarn ucha Upper cairn meadow
Cae guar (Cae cwar) Quarry field
1. D.T.M Jones (4) 2459 (NLW)
2. 2461-62. manuscript – D. T. M. Jones (Solicitors) Records, 1544-[?1940] (predominantly 1775-1933) (accumulated 1775-[?1940]) / D. T. M. Jones & Co.Title (NLW)
3. Cambrian 25/4/1807
4. Neuadd Fawr 352 (NLW)
5. Ref. no. 2478. Neaudd Fawr (NLW)
6. D.T.M. Jones 2482 (NLW)
7. Cambrian 13/9/1901
8. Thomas Nicholas’ Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (Vol 1 – 1872)