Dolgynon (Cynon’s Meadow)
In 1746, land from Dolgynon was purchased to create Soar Chapel also known as Ty Newydd, a candidate for one of the first chapels in Wales. The agreement on the deeds was between David Rudderch, Isaac David and Daniel Rowlands, John Williams, Llwynberllan and William Lloyd Digoedydd. However the dates on the farm buildings are later perhaps because they were remodelled or rebuilt in the 19th century, the house is dated 1816 and on the barn 1842.
The land bought by the Chapel according to their deeds was called, Kae Awyr Keven Hafod Vynydd (Cae Awyr Cefn Hafod Fynydd), which literally translates as, ‘the field at the back of Cefn Hafod Hill.’ ). ‘Awyr’ is possibly a mis-spelliing of ‘o war’ (above). If so, a literal translation of would be ‘the field above the back of Hafod hill’ or ‘the field above Cefn Hafod hill.
In the field behind Ty Newydd chapel which Hedley Thomas of Penstacan used to own (part of Dolgynon farm), there is a pond with associated wet land which has Veronica scutellata (common name Marsh Speedwell) growing there. The owners of the cottages below Ty Newydd got onto Hedley about draining the field because they felt it was making them damp and so he arranged for it to be drained but the equipment sank in the soft earth and the attempt was given up, the field is, ‘still in a really nice condition.’1
1. Mr & Mrs Iliff 2013.
|Current name of farm / dwelling:||Dolgynon||Parish:||Cil-y-cwm|
|Name of Recorder:||Dafydd Tomos||Respondent(s):||Stella Cole|
|Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Map:||Dolgynnon|
|Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Schedule:||Dolgynon|
|Landowners:(Tithe Schedule)||Thomas Harries|
|Occupiers:(Tithe Schedule)||Hannah Davies|
|Ref. No:(Tithe Schedule )||131|
|Area in statute measure:(Tithe Schedule)||45.3.20|
|Land Charges R.A.D.(Cil-y-cwm)||£4.4.0|
|Interesting history / folklore associated with farm / dwelling||Possible longhouse – barn adjoining the house. Stone House.|
|Interesting family history||Census =1841 to1871 – David Davies; 1881 to 1911 – Harries family.|
|Any dates carved on buildings, doorways, etc.||On the house – 1816; on the barn – 1842|
|Interesting flora and fauna||In the field behind Ty Newydd chapel there is a pond with associated wet land which has Veronica scutellata (Marsh Speedwell) growing there.|
|Association with a noteworthy event||In 1746, land from Dolgynon purchased to create Soar Chapel – possibly first in Wales. Agreement on the deeds between David Rudderch, Isaac David and Daniel Rowlands, John Williams, Llwynberllan and William Lloyd Digoedydd.|
|Field No. on Tithe Map||Field Name on
|Field Name on
|Field Name from
|Current Field Name||Comments|
|Kae Awyr Keven Hafod Vynydd||From deeds of Tynewydd Chapel.|