Galltybere (Wooded stack-shaped slope)
Galltybere is first mentioned in the 1553 sale of the Manor of Nantbai as “Tyr Alt y bery alias Alt beryd” and as “Tyr allt y berry” in 1629.1 However “Allt-y-bere” had become detached from the Manor by 1777. Galltybere was apparently a Calvinistic Methodist Meeting House (as were Dugoedydd and Llwynyberllan further down the valley.2
St. Fagan’s National History Museum holds a number of recordings of interviews with people of the Rhandirmwyn and Cilycwm area. Among such recordings is one of an interview with Mr William Williams, born in 1888, and whose address at the time of the recording was Gallt y Berau, Rhandirmwyn.
Ivor Williams of Galltybere3 was aware of six ruins on Galltybere. One was called Castell. Another was Nazareth which used to be a carpenter’s shop. In the 1891 Census a William Walters, Lead Miner (47) is listed along with nine others living there! One more cottage was Ty’nddôl, the men who lived there worked in the lead mine and used to cross the river on stilts.
Ifor Williams also talked about Galltybere Bridge constructed c1927 by a company from Neath. It replaced a wooden chain bridge which was swept away by floods in 1926. Flood water flowed over the new bridge in the 1950s. The Ordinance Survey Map of 1905 shows the foot bridge crossed the river just below Nazareth, and the ford crossed approximately where the new bridge is now. On the same map a track is marked zig-zagging from the back of Galltybere House and Barn and up over the bank and on to Maesmeddygon.
1.1553 sale of Manor of Nantbai (CAS: Lort Muniments)
2. Reuben Stone conversation with Corinne Brown 2013
3. Ivor Williams interview with Handel Jones 1995
4. OS Map 1905