Gilwen-fach (Little Gilwen)
The landowner of Gilwenfach was Rev. Daniel Prytherch Price in the tithe and David Bowen was the tenant of the house and 22 acres. The dwelling was on the opposite side of road to Penybanc Isa.
It appears in a document of 1854, where George Prytherch Price of Llandilo, co. Carmarthen, gent is mortgaging the property subject to the estate for life of Catherine Price, his mother. In the Abergwenlais Estate sale catalogue of 1856 the farm was also known as Clyngellfach or Gilwenucha.
Interesting field names:
Gwaun-cwm-clyd ‘gwaun’, marshy land, ‘cwm’, valley, ‘clyd’, sheltered. ‘Marshy land in the sheltered valley’.
Cae-dan-y-llydiad (‘Cae dan y llidiart’,field below the gate/sluice’.
Cae calch ucha (Upper lime field)
1. Neuadd fawr 183 (NLW)