Glancroyddir (On the banks of fresh water)
It has been suggested that the three elements are ‘glan’ + croyw’ + ‘dŵr’ and that the meaning is ‘on the banks of the fresh water’. Indeed, that is the interpretation given by the Rev. Henry Morgan (1855-1934) in his journals,
‘The little brook, the Croewddwr winds its silvery waters in its course from the inland farms past the School and gives great delight to the Schoolchildren. The brooklet rises near Cwmcroeddwr in the hill creek of the name and empties into the Gwenlais … [a] few fields below the school building.’1
However, at the beginning of the 19th century, the third element was recorded variously as ‘croiddyn’, ‘croyddin’ and ‘croyddyn’. ‘Gwreiddyn’ is the Welsh for ‘root’. There is a ‘Nant y Gwreiddyn’ near Sennybridge, and R.F. Peter Powell surmises that ‘gwreiddyn’ is possibly used in the sense of the ‘source’ of a watercourse.
The owner of Glancroyddyn in the tithe was Isaac Jones and the tenant was Evan Davies of the 7 acre holding. Glancroyddir was formerly called Tyr or Tyddin y rhose Galed. Glancroyddin is mentioned in a deed of 1812. 1 and also in 1817 2 when it is sold by Anne Williams of Llandovery to the Glansevin Estate for ‘500 years (being a mortgage for £50) of the messuage and lands formerly called Tyr or Tyddin y rhose Galed otherwise Tyr or Tyddin Glannant croiddyn, and now called Glancroyddin parish of Cylycwm’. 2
By 1846 Glancroythir is now part of the Brunant estate and is being sold again to Walter Lloyd of Carmarthen, gent
In the census of 1841 and 1851 Evan Davies lived there; in 1861, Margaret Jones; in 1871, Thomas Jones; in 1881, 1891, Catherine Jones; in 1901, 1911 another Evan Davies.
Interesting field names:
Ddol gam issa Lower crooked meadow
1. Rev. Henry Morgan, Cilycwm: Recollections of the Parish, NLW FACS 677
2. R.F. Peter Powell, The Place-Names of Devynock Hundred (1993)