In the tithe schedule the 40 acre farm Craigyrhiad (‘Craig y Rhaeadr’, ‘Rock of the Waterfall’) was owned by Thomas Davies and the tenant was John Thomas.
Tomos Jones the last full time shepherd to be employed on Mynydd Mallaen lived in this house.
The Forestry Commission pulled down the house as they were afraid it would attract squatters which might be a fire risk in the forestry. It was a reasonably new house made from bricks.
In the census of 1861 David Hughes aged 45 lived here; in 1871, 1881, Daniel Jones; in 1891 John Jones aged 55, and in 1901 Walter Davies.