Lamb House & Lamb Shop
Lamb House with almost an acre of garden belonged to the Rev D.P. Pryse in the tithe and the occupier was David Evans. The earliest reference to this house was in 1785 when it belonged to Abergwenlais. David Evans may have been the schoolmaster mentioned in the Blue Books of 1846 which assessed education provision in Wales. He was a,
‘good tempered amiable man, governing his scholars by gentle means, but much prejudiced against all modern systems of tuition.’ 1
The Rev Henry Morgan remembers it thus,
‘The Lamb Inn was built in the form of the letter L … Facing the shorter street was a blank wall without a window. Against this blank wall the youths of the parish spent many hours in the ball games’. 2
The Lamb was bought by Campbell-Davys, Neuadd Fawr for £450 in 1873, by which time part of it had become a shop. The shape of the present building is very different to that in the tithe, but may incorporate some of the older structure.
At some point the Lamb had fields at the bottom of the lane to Penyfedw, possibly for the use of Drovers who were patronised the inn.
1. Edna Dale Jones. Cilycwm a Village and its Squire. People, Property, Development. The Carmarthenshire Antiquary. 1994..
2. Rev Henry Morgan CIL-Y-CWM; RECOLLECTIONS OF THE PARISH NLW FACS 677