Lethr-gwyn sits almost unnoticed now, behind the forestry houses of Tremcelynog near Rhandirmwyn. Nesta Evans’s mother was known as ‘Olwen Llethrgwyn’, she was brought up there in the 1920’s by her parents and a grandmother who had lived at nearby Pen-cornhwrdd (now gone disappeared). Olwen remembered catching a pheasant that had wandered onto the road near the Rhiw, on her way back from Sunday school in Cil-y-cwm. She carried it back home under her jumper in triumph, thrilled to be bringing home some free food. Olwen was unprepared for the reaction of the grownups who were terribly upset and told her to take it back to where she had found it immediately. They knew what she did not, that a tenant found poaching on the Neuadd estate would be evicted forthwith.
An aunt of Nesta’s that had moved to live up in the village always came back to Llethr-gwyn for the lovely water from the spring in the ‘waun’ in front of the house for her tea, apparently there was nothing like it in Rhandirmwyn.
Olwen also remembered that when Mr Lewis the beloved teacher at Rhandir-mwyn School went to become headmaster of Cil-y-cwm School, a local wag wrote a poem, which reminds Mr Lewis to come back to Rhandirmwyn, ‘Come for a visit when you can, to the healthy breeze upon the hill, You’ll have tea and some wonderful cake, with us at Lethergwyn.’
Lethergwyn first makes an appearance in the Glansevin deeds in February 1815 in a letter from Charles Morgan, Carmarthen, to D. Lloyd Harris, esq., solicitor, Llandovery. ‘Mr. Goodere’s title to Penlan, Wernfelen, houses in Llandovery and Llether Twynn [sic] is under the will of his uncle, the late Mr. John Morgan; the title deeds may have been delivered up to his trustees. P.S. Recipient has dishonoured writers draft.’ 1 In March 1815 John Michael Goodere of Llandovery, co. Carmarthen, esq.; and David Lloyd Harries of Llandovery, attorney; and William Davies of Llwynowen, parish of Cilycwm, gent. are parties to an regarding ‘the messuage and lands called Llethergwyn, parish of Cylycwm’ amongst other properties.2 In January 1830, John Michael Goodere and Mary Lloyd Goodere his wife finally sell their properties in Llandovery and Cilycwm to Morgan Harries, esq., and David Lloyd Harries, gent. 3
In 1842 there was an agreement for a, ‘reduction of the interest on the mortgage on Wernfelen otherwise Wernfellen, and Penlan otherwise Penylan, parish of Llandingat, Lethrgwyn, parish of Cilycwm, a house in Stone Street, and three houses in Lower Street, Llandovery, co. Carmarthen.’ 4
In 1868, Rees Augustus of Llandovery, co. Carmarthen, agent for George Watkin Rice Watkins and David Thomas, trustees of Mrs. Caroline Martha Harries, deceased; AGREEMENT for the annual tenancy of the messuage and lands called Llethergwyn, parish of Cilycwm with John Morgan of Dinasbach, parish of Cilycwm, farmer, this tenancy was short lived as it was cancelled by John Morgan in 1871. Perhaps this poor land was not worth the rental. Lethrgwyn is mentioned for the last time in the Glansevin papers between 1871, Dec. 21 – 1882, May 7. in correspondence between Thomas Jones, Llandovery, and others, and Col. Lloyd Harries and others. 5
David Lloyd Harries of Glansevin was the owner of Llethergwyn in the tithe and the tenant of this 40 acre holding was Samuel Walters.
Later on in the 19th century the Roderick family were associated with the holding. Daniel Roderick went to America in 1872 from Llethergwyn farm, his father was Daniel Roderick and his mother was Ann Lewis.
Interesting field names:
Cae rale (Cae’r alai) Field of the alley/path/walk. This may refer to a footpath from Cwrdinas to Lether-gwyn which once crossed this field.
1. 1570. 1815, Feb 23. Glansevin (NLW)
2. 293. 1815, March 30. Glansevin (NLW)
3. 2814. D. T. M. Jones (Solicitors) Records, 1842 (NLW)
4. 164. 1868, April 11. Glansevin (NLW)
5. 579-82. 1871, Dec. 21 – 1882, May 7. Glansevin (NLW)