Melin-y-coed (Mill of the wood)
Melin-y-coed’s fields now belong to Bwlch-y-rhiw but the ruin of the mill and Tŷ Joel are still visible. Melin-y-coed woollen factory is shown as three buildings in the1880’s OS map sitting below Carreg Lymsi and Allt Blan nant melyn.
Melinycoed Mill and Land of 142 acres belonged to David Lloyd Harries in the tithe and was rented by David Evans. The census of 1841 has David Evans aged 45 living there, described as a ‘mason’, with his wife Mary Evans 55, John Rees 60, and Rees Jones 12. In 1851 David Evans ‘farmer of 9 acres’ is still there but with a new wife ‘Marha’ and two step daughters.
Local residents in their 60s and beyond can remember Tŷ Joel which was the old mill inhabited by Joel. Joel and his sons worked in the wool mill and lived in Bedw in the 1840s. Joel was reputed to be a prophet who predicted events, he once advised a labourer not to go out with a cart that was that day involved in a collision with a gateway that injured another man. It seems Joel stayed on after the mill closed.
Interesting field names:
Waun Felin Mill’s marshy ground
Cae Bach Joel Joel’s small field
Cae’r Hendy Field of the old house
Ddôl Gau Hollow Meadow
Ann Jones and Tommy Williams