Ochr y Fforest (Edge of the Forest)
In the tithe Ochr y Fforest was in Llandingat Without but is now in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn. The old name of Ochr y Fforest was Bwlchygrachied.1 A map dated 1858 shows Ochorforest as being over 223 acres and included Cwmmawr and Forest.2
The Nicholas family owned Ochr y Fforest for nearly a century, a John Nicholas was living there in 1803 and in the census of 1851 there is a Daniel Nicholas aged 58; and from 1871 to1891 it is John Nicholas. In 1901, Rees Williams aged 31 is living there, he eventually bought the farm in 1911.3 One of the descendants of John Nicholas (1872-1925) of Ochr y Fforest is Douglas Nicholas, a noted author in New York City.
Ochryfforest is one of many dwellings using the name Fforest which was a hamlet of Llandovery which once was called Crug-y-blaidd or ‘Crucklebleith’ Forest. It is believed to have been a hunting lodge in very early times for a manor called Gilfach near to the Tonn, Llandovery.
Interesting field names:
Cae’r hwch sow’s field
Cae Mawr nesa nearest big field
Cae Mawr pella furthest big field
Cae buarth farmyard field
Cae Llwyd Ucha highest grey field
1. D.T.M. Jones Part 4 of schedule 2698 1803, March 2 (NLW)
2. D. T. M. JONES (4) Part 4 of Schedule 2709 1852, Sept. 29 (NLW)
3. D. T. M. JONES (4) Part 4 of Schedule 10390-1 1911, June 19 SALE CATALOGUES (NLW)
|Name of Recorder:||Dafydd|
|Parish: Cil-y-cwm/Llanfair-ar-ybryn||Cil-y-cwm now, used to be Llandingat Without|
|Current Name of Farm/Dwelling||Ochr y Fforest|
|Interesting history/folklore associated with farm/dwelling. Please give details if relevant.
The old name was Bwlchygrachied (NLW). The plan for 1858 shows Ochorforest as being over 223 acres and included Cwmmawr and Forest.
|Interesting family history. Please give details, if relevant.
|John Nicholas mentioned in 1803, NLW records. Census 1851 – Daniel Nicholas aged 58; 1871-1891 – John Nicholas; 1901 – Rees Williams aged 31.
|Field Number on Tithe Map||Field Name on Tithe List||Field Name on Estate Map
|Field Name from other – list source||Current Field Name||Comments|
|Waun dan yr heol|
|Waun dan yr heol|
|Cae Cart house|
|Cae war ty|
|Part of the Hill|
|Cae Mawr nesa|
|Cae Mawr pella|
|Y Wern Ucha|
|Y Wern isa|
|Field Number on Tithe Map||Field Name on Tithe List||Field Name on Estate Map||Field Name from other – list source||Current Field Name||Comments|
|Cae Llwyd Isa|
|Cae Sgubor bach|
|Cae Llwyd Ucha|
|Part of Wayn Newydd|
- T. M. JONES (4)
Part 4 of Schedule
1852, Sept. 29
1 David Jones of Pantglas, co. Carmarthen, esq., M.P.
2 Thomas Williams of Placenewydd, parish of Cilycwm , auctioneer
3 David Price of Penrhyw, parish of Llandingat, farmer
4 Daniel Nicholas of Ochorforest, parish of Llandingat, gent. 5 The said Thomas Williams
6 Charles Bishop of Llandovery, gent.
APPOINTMENT and RELEASE of the property specified in No. 2706 of 27 Oct. 1851, and fields called Cwmmawr or lands on the Forest, formerly purchased from John Williams of Llwynyberllan, adjoining to and for several years held with the said property of Ochorforest, hamlet of Forest, parish of Llandingat.
Endorsed on third sheet is:
PLAN of Ochorforest, Cwmmawr, and Forest, parish of Llandingad.
1863, Oct. 10
1 Thomas Williams of Tallog, Parish of Cilycwm , co. Carmarthen., gent.
2 John Nicholas, now of Neuaddfawr, parish of Cilycwm , yeoman
3 Charles Bishop of Llandovery, and Frederick Lewis of Llwyncelyn, parish of Llanwrda, gent.
4 Charles Bishop the younger of Llandovery, gent.
ASSURANCE for effecting a partition of the messuage and lands called Ochoryfforest, hamlet of Fforest, parish of Llandingat, limiting portions to the first and second parties in fee, assignment of a term of 500 years, and covenant to produce deeds, 1836-62.
Plan and schedules of field names, etc., endorsed
1911, June 19
SALE CATALOGUES of properties in the parishes of Llandingat, Llanfair-ar-y- bryn, Llangadock, Llansadwrn, Llandilo and Llywel, and in the town of Llandovery, cos. Carmarthen and Brecknock, endorsed with an agreement by Rees Williams, Och[r]fforest Farm, to purchase Ochrfforest, parish of Llandingat, co. Carmarthen, and particulars of biddings.
- T. M. JONES MAPS AND PLANS
Deposited by Messrs D. T. M. Jones and Co., Solicitors, Llandovery, 1959
COMPILED BY D. GLYN EVANS, 1961
Plan of Ochr-y-fforest [18NW] situate in the parish of Llandingate, in the county of Carmarthen. Ink and coloured field plan on wove-laid paper, accompanied by a schedule indicating field names and acreages. No scale [ 4ch.:1in?] n.d. [1840?] watermark – J. Whatman, Turkey Mill, 1837.
Freehold Property. 15. 12. 1905.
Breconshire Llywel. Clynyfoel, Red Cow Farm, Carmarthenshire Llandingat. Ochryfforest, Sixteen freehold property in Llandovery; Llanfair-ar-y-bryn. Cwm-mawr, Caecrin; Myddfai Penucha’r Rhandir, Yr Arch. (with plans).
1803, March 2
1 John Nicholas of the parish of Llanwrda, co. Carmarthen, gent., and Mary his wife (only child and heir of Thomas James, late of the parish of Llandingat, gent., deceased)
2 David Price of the parish of Llanwrda, gent.
3 Edward Jones the younger of Llandovery, and David Jones Lewis of the
parish of Llanwrda, gentn
DEED declaring the uses of a fine of the messuage and lands heretofore called Bwlch y Grachied and now called Ochor y Forest, at the Forest, parish of Llandingat, a piece of ground therewith held, being part of a hill called the Forest, parish of Llandingat, and the messuage and lands called Pen y rhiw, parish of Llanfairary bryn.
[Witnesses include W. Wozeneraft, Bwlchygwint]