Penbryn-llan

Penbryn-llan (Church hill)

Click here for location map.

In 1777 Penbrynllan is shown as property of Edward Price Lloyd Esq. of Glansevin on the edge of the 1777 Campbell estate map of ‘Ty-yn-y-waun, Kilycwm fields & David Davies’s fields’ [Wauncroiddur]. 1Penbrynllan was still owned by the Glansevin estate in the tithe, but there wasn’t an occupant in the house and the 42 acres of land were leased by Evan Evans of Ty Mawr who paid £4 in tithes for Tymawr, two Gardens and Penbrynllan . 2 In 1872 WH Campbell Davys of the Neuadd Fawr estate bought Penbrynllan alongside many other Cilycwm farms and houses from the Glansevin Estate. 3

In the census of 1841 John Timothy and his wife Mary are living there with their children, Rachel, Catherine Timothy, John and Mary. In 1851 Daniel Williams, and his family were in occupation. By 1861 Henry Morgans,  and his wife Anne, are in occupation with their children one of whom grew up to become the Rev. Henry Morgan who in his Journals remembers Cilycwm with great fondness,

‘Penbrynllan. This is the house where I was born.  It is situated on a sloping hillock overlooking the Llan – the parish church – and Cil-y-cwm village.  The name is descriptive of its position – summit of the church hill … It stood in the shadow of an ancient yew tree which sheltered the house and outhouses and barn from the prevailing westerly wind.  Two stately ash trees sheltered the house from the north winds and snows.  There was a wide stone pavement from the house door to the well under the roots of the oak tree, and the overflow of the well ran down the side of the meadow behind the house.  Adjoining Penbrynllan were many similar dwelling houses with their surrounding acres supporting many families.  These have now changed and the houses allowed to tumble, with the land taken to the fields of the nearby farms.’ 4

Sources:

1. Campbell (1777) Map of “Ty-yn-y-waun, Kilycwm fields & David Davies’s fields [Wauncroiddur]. Carmarthen Record Office (CAS)

2. Dale-Jones, Edna (1994) “Cilycwm: a Village and its Squire in the Nineteenth Century, People, Property, Development” in The Carmarthenshir4 Antiquary, Vol xxx, 1994, pp 90-112

3. Neuadd Fawr 310 (NLW)

4. Rev. Henry Morgan Journals – FACS 677 (NLW)