Penrhiwrhaeadr & Rhaeadr Mill

Penrhiwrhaeadr (Top of the waterfall hill) & Rhaeadr Mill

Click here for location map.

Penrhiwrhaeadr is now part of Aberhosan, Cwm Rhaeadr Forestry, and Penyfedw-fach. In the 1843 tithe the owner of, ‘Penrhiwrhiad’ was Edward Pryse Lloyd of Glansevin. The occupiers were Daniel Morgan (Penrhiwrhiad) with 73 acres and Rees Price (Rhiad Mill).

In 1827 David Morgan of Penrhiwrhaidr leaves all his, ‘implements of husbandry’ to his son David as well as a cottage on  Penrhiwrhaidr called ‘Cefn Esker’, ‘together with the gardens and following fields….Cae’r Hals, Cae’r bank,  Bank, Cae glas, Waundanyty, and the Wern, and to his grandsons, ‘each a pair of clothes from head to foot decent to go on the Lord’s day to divine worship’ at the rent of £8 to be paid to the executors of the will. He left the lease of Penrhiwrhaidr to his other son Daniel and his daughter Ann jointly, unless they did not want to live there together, then Anne and her mother should have a cottage on the farm called Ty Llwyn and Daniel was to allow them a milch cow and bring them annually, ‘two cartloads of dung for the gardens and six cart loads of turves’ from the Mallaen.’ 1

In 1839, “the Glansevin Estate put an advertisement in the Mining Journal offering to lease the sets of Pen-rhiw-rhaeadr …”  By the1861 census Margaret Morgans was the farmer of the 106 acres at Penrhiwrhaidr, with her son and grandson and four servants. In 1872 WH Campbell Davys of Neuadd Fawr bought Penrhiwhaid alongside many other Cilycwm farms and houses from the Glansevin Estate.3

Aberrhosan and Penybank in the ‘Rhiw’ were both Gamekeepers cottages. The ruin of the farmhouse is still visible by roadside field. A stone pigsty near the house is still standing. The Rhaeadr stream joins Rhosan stream on Penrhiw Rhaiadr. There were two mines along the stream.2 The 1907 OS map shows Allt Pen-yr-rhiw-Rhaiadr on the present-day site of Cwm Rhaiadr Forestry Commission car park.

Sources:

1. 1827 Will of David Morgan, Penrhiwrhaidr (NLW-SD1827-…, available on line, digital copy available £3.50)

2. Hall, G.W. (1993) Metal Mines of Southern Wales, Griffin Publications, Kington, pp61-62

3. (NLW) Neaudd fawr 310

Amanda Rutter & Jamie Pickup, Aberhosan