Pen-y-banc-uchaf (Upper Pen-y-banc)
In 1796 ‘Thomas William of Llanthoysaint’ sold Pen y bank to, Edward Jones of Llandovery, gentleman, ‘and the fields thereunto belonging called Cae yr Onnen, Caecwm Clyd, Wain cwm Clyd, Cae Scybor, Cae yr ffynnon, Cae yr brin, Cae yr lan, Cae yr bettin, Gwain y Coed, Yr wain goch, Pwlle yr Mawn, Cae garw, Cae bach, and an open piece of ground called Penbrin Cach and Y lan,’
David Lloyd Harries was the landowner of Penybankucha in the tithe Thomas Jones was the tenant this 66 acre holding.
In the census of 1841 Thomas Jones aged 29 was still farming here; in 1851 it was a Daniel Jones aged 74; in 1861 Isaac Harries aged 32; in 1871 Benjamin Williams aged 28; in 1881 it was unoccupied; in 1891 Morgan Evans aged 55; in 1901 and 1911 Evan Thomas who was a Gamekeeper at the Neuadd Fawr lived there.
Interesting field names:
Cae’r betin. A field whose surface would have been removed with a special implement or breast plough before being burned and spread on the land as a fertiliser
Cae cwm clyd field in a sheltered valley
Pwlle yr Mawn (pyllau’r mawn) peat pools
Penbrin CachTop of the dung hill. Possibly ‘cach’ is being used in a pejorative sense
1. Neuadd Fawr 375-6 1796, Dec. 23-4 (NLW)