Tanlifau

Tanlifau

Click here for location map.

The remains of Tanlifau are still visible, it is now part of Cwmdunant. It was known as Tanlive in the tithe of 1843 when it was owned by John Morgan the tenant of this small farm of 45 acres was Morgan Jones

In 1871 Tanlifau was occupied by Thomas Richards and in 1891 by his sister Hannah Richards.

The meaning of ‘Tanlifau’ is uncertain.  ‘Tan’ usually means ‘under, or ‘beneath’.  ‘Llif’ with the plural ‘llifau’ means saw.  ‘Llif’ also means ‘flood’ or ‘stream’, but the plural forms do not include ‘llifau’.   There is no evidence that ‘lifau’ is the mutated colloquial form of ‘gleifiau’ (‘swords’ or ‘scythes’).