Troed-yr-heol

Troed-yr-heol (Foot of the road)

Click here for location map.

In 1818 Troed-yr-heol is refered to in the Glansevin estate deeds1 and in 1827 when it is bought by David Lloyd Harries of Llandovery in a, ‘LEASE AND RELEASE of the messuage, farm and lands called Tyr Troedyrheol together with the parcels of lands held therewith called Rhandyr u Boath to a place called Nant dings, with three – days, math of hay or meadow there, Cae urn rhoed yr Rhiw and Yr slang Llwyd otherwise Dole yr Haydd, parish of Killycwm.’ 2

David Lloyd Harries was still the owner of Troedyrheol and its 49 acres in the tithe and John Harries was the tenant. Now the fields belonging to Bylchyrhiw, and small ruined house remains. In 1862 David Lewis of Troedyrhiw leases, ‘for 21 years of the messuages and lands called Bedw, Troedyrheol and Slang and Brynbryth, parish of Cilycwm, and or building a dairy, cart house and a pigs’ cot.’ From Mrs. Caroline Martha Harries of Llandingat House, Llandovery. In 1918 Troedyrhiw reappears in a sale catalogue of the Maesllydan Hall estate, when T. W. Davies of Bedw, Cilycwm purchases the following: ‘Llysfedw otherwise Bedw, and Troedyrheol Slangs, parish of Cilycwm’.4

Sources:

1. Glansevin257 (NLW)

2. Glansevin 258-9 (NLW)

3. Glansevin 222 (NLW)

4. Glansevin 10377 (NLW)

Ann Jones and Tommy Williams   Wynne Thomas