Tŷ-isaf

Tŷ-isaf

Click here for location map.

Now disappeared, Tŷ-isaf was 54 acres on what is now Glandunant land. Tyissa belonged in the tithe to the Cawdor Estate and the tenant was Rees Price.

In the censuses of 1841 and 1851Rees Price was in occupation; in 1861 Mary Price, widow plus a servant Daniel Williams; from1871 to1881 Daniel Williams; and in1891 Anne Williams aged 61. It is not recorded again.

The field name, Cae Maen might indicate prehistoric archaeology. It is thought that the old Roman road crosses one of these fields, but none of the field names are suggestive of this.

Several names can be found for this dwelling Erw yr wain, Erw Dyer, Tyisaf.  It became part of Glandunant and then a part of Gilwen. In 1861, Mary Price aged 64 was the head of the household at Erwwain with a servant Daniel Williams aged 34.  By 1871, the name had changed to Tyisha.  David Williams then lived there with Anne his wife and seven children, namely Elizabeth, John, Margaret, Daniel, William, Marianne and David.  Catherine was to follow in 1873.  Mary Price was still on the holding aged 74.  Daniel Williams is believed to have moved to London, possibly working for Pugh a draper’s shop in Camden, London.   By 1904 he was a well respected deacon in Jewin, the methodist chapel in London.  A visitor to the area, commented, ‘There is more peace in the Tyissaf, Mr Williams, than in Cheapside, don’t you think?’ 1

In 1867 William Davys Harries Campbell Davys of Neuaddfawr bought Tyisaf from the Cawdor estate. 2

Interesting field names:

Cae gwynn Cae gwyn

Cae dy bach Cae du bach, small black field

Cae’r Maen Field of the stone

Cae’r Maen Ycha Upper field of the stone. Cae Llether dy (Cae llethr du) field of the black slope. Interesting that the element ‘du’ occurs twice in field-names on this farm

Sources:

1. London Kelt  24/9/1904

2. Neuadd 241 1867, March 25 (NLW)

Arwyn Richards

Current name of farm / dwelling: Tyisaf.   Parish: Cil-y-cwm 
Name of Recorder: Dafydd Tomos Respondent(s): Arwyn Richards,  Bill Evans
Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Map: Not now in existence.   Land now belongs to Gilwen/Glandunant.
Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Schedule: Tyisaf, also known as Erw yr Wain, also Erw Dyer   (known as Tyisaf on Glandunant land)
Landowners:(Tithe Schedule) John Frederick Campbell, Earl of Cawdor
Occupiers:(Tithe Schedule) Rees Price
Ref. No:(Tithe Schedule ) 210
Area in statute measure:(Tithe Schedule) 53.2.39
Land Charges R.A.D.(Cil-y-cwm) £4.5.0
Interesting history / folklore associated with farm / dwelling Several names can be found for this dwelling Erw yr wain, Erw Dyer, Tyisaf, Tyissa, Tyisha.  Became part of Glandunant and then a part of Gilwen.
Interesting family history Census 1841, 1851 – Rees Price; 1861 – Mary Price, widow plus a servant Daniel Williams;1871, 1881 – Daniel Williams; 1891 –  Anne Williams aged 61; 1901 – not recorded again.
Archaeological features. Please give details and note location Possibly Cae Maen?  The old Roman road would be crossing one of these fields, but none of the field names are suggestive of this.
Other information not listed above In 1861, Mary Price aged 64 was the head of Erwwain with a servant Daniel Williams aged 34.  By 1871, the name had changed to Tyisha.  David Williams was the head with Anne his wife and seven children, namely Elizabeth, John, Margaret, Daniel, William, Marianne, David.  Catherine was to follow in 1873.  Mary Price was still on the holding aged 74.  Daniel Williams is believed to have moved to London, possibly working for Pugh a draper’s shop in Camden, London.   By 1904 he was a deacon in Jewin, the methodist chapel in London.  He might also have been influential in aiding other members of his family to find work in the city (see Cwmdunant).
Field No. on Tithe Map Field Name on
Tithe Schedule
Field Name on
Estate Map
Field Name from
other source
Current Field Name Comments
Estate Year Source Year
Cawdor 1777
210 Cae park
Wayn gotta
Wayn newydd
Cae bach
Cae glas
Cae sgybor
Cae gwynn
Cae dy bach
Wern isa
Wern ucha
Cae llethr bach
Cae’r bank
Wayn vach
Wayn yr odyn
Wayn isa
Wern
Cae’r pant
Cae’r Maen
Cae’r Maen Ycha
Cae Llether dy
Total 53 acres (1777)

Newspapers – from http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Tyisaf is mentioned in the London Kelt  24/9/1904 in Welsh.  It mentions Mr Daniel Williams who was an elder in Jewin Chapel, London.

Also, that a Mrs Evan Davies (death report GOLEUAD  18/2/1916) was Daniel Williams’ sister.  She was also married to an elder at Jewin Chapel, London.

tyisa1 tyisa2

Map sourced from John Campbell Mapbook, 1777.  Cawdor.  Carmarthen Record Office

Erw’rwayn