Tŷ-mawr-isaf, Tygodrepentre & Tŷ-croes (Lower Big House, House at the Bottom the Village & House at the Crossroads. Cilycwm village)
Edward Pryse Lloyd of Glansevin was the owner of Tŷ-mawr-isaf, Tygodrepentre & Tŷ-croes. William Phillips was the tenant in Tygodrepentre and John Evans was the leaseholder of Tŷ-croes & Tŷ-mawr-isaf.
Tygodrepentre was there in the 1830’s as the occupants defaulted on the parish rate every year. In the 1840’s and 1850’s it was lived in by William Phillips a tailor and his family.
Tŷ-croes and Tŷ-mawr-isaf were built on the gardens of Tŷ-mawr-uchaf in 1837-38 by John Evans in agreement with Edward Pryse Lloyd. Evans held these houses on a lease for three lives. They were stone with thatched roofs, Campbell Davys bought these from the son of Pryse Lloyd in 1872. Thomas Isaac a miner was living at Tŷ-croes in 1851, possibly one of the last miners to work the Gwenlas levels, copper mines a mile from Neuadd Fawr in the Gwenlais valley they were also called the ‘Happy Valley Lead Mines’.
1. Edna Dale Jones. Cilycwm a Village and its Squire. People, Property, Development. The Carmarthenshire Antiquary. 1994
|Name of Recorder:||Sara Fox|
|Current Name of Farm/Dwelling||Tymawr plus neighbouring cottage|
|Name of Farm/Dwelling on Tithe Map||114 Houses and Gardens [Cil-y-cwm Village] (Tygodrepentre, Tycroes and Tymawr Isaf)|
|Landowners (Tithe)||Edward pryse Lloyd|
|Occupiers (Tithe)||William Phillips Tygodrepentre|
John Evans (leaseholder) Tycroes & Tymawr isafRef. No. (Tithe)114Name of Farm/Dwelling (Tithe Schedule)Houses and GardensArea in Statute Measure (Tithe)1 rood