Dugoedydd (Black woods)
Dugoedydd is a substantial farm on the Llanfair-ar-y-bryn side of the Tywi parallel with Penrhyn. It was once the home of the Price family of Ystradffin who owned it from about 1660. Rowland Price of Dugoedydd, gent, made his will on the 22nd January 1719-20 when he was 69 leaving his estate to his brother Edward Price of Ystradffin. By this will he also founded a charity school at Cil-y-cwm.
They were followed by the Lloyd family who were strong supporters of non-conformity in the area. Dugoedydd was part of Campbell (Cawdor) estate, and is included in the map-book of 1777. The island depicted on the map in the Tywi is worth noting being the only island in the area! It was five acres in 1777 but had reduced to 4 acres by the 1841 tithe map and has now become part of Penrhyn as the channel on that side has dried up, and is described by the present owners of Dugoedydd as, ‘Our land we can’t get to!’
The Saunders family lived there in the first half of the 19th century but by 1862 William Williams when was tenant it had reduced in status to a farm. 1
‘Dugoiddudd’ belonged to the Cawdor estate in the tithe of 1839 and Margaret Saunders was the recently widowed tenant of the 280 acre farm and its sheep walk of 256 acres. Margaret is still there in the census of 1851but by 1861 Ann Williams another widow in the head o the household. From 1871 to 1911 Evan Williams and his family are in occupation. Dugoedydd was such a large farm that they employed around 5 servants. Unusually many of these servants were from London.
Other cottages on the farm in 1851 include Dugoedydd Fach Ucha; Dugoedydd Fach Isa, Dugoedydd Cottage Ucha, Dugoedydd Cottage Isa, Gelynnog (or Glynog) Tycornel.
Thomas Gwilym Pritchard (the poet ‘Glan Tywi’) was born on 23 November 1846 at Dugoedydd, one of seven children of David and Annie Pritchard. The family emigrated to the United States c. 1862, but in late 1875 Thomas returned to Wales before re-emigrating to Patagonia on the Vandyke, ‘As a cultured man of letters, he wrote fluently and naturally in a beautiful style and as a poet he was master of the craft of composing verse in both the strict and free metres while also composing humorous or satirical poems with ease.’ 2
Dugoedydd holds a special place in the history of non-conformity in Wales as it was where the first Methodist leaders meeting was held on January 7th 1742.It was the first organised meeting of leaders of the Calvinistic Methodists. Daniel Rowland presided and apart from Howel Harris and William Williams, there were twenty other leaders. After the meeting Harris wrote, ‘We sat up until near 12 praying and consulting……we had much union, sweetness, concord and brotherly love together.’ 3
In 1739 Peter Jones of Nantybrain married Mary Williams a daughter of Ystradffin and in 1746 they took on a 21year lease of Dugoedydd at £32 per annum from Roger Evans the agent for John Campbell Esq. Peter’s great great granddaughter was ‘Daisy’ Jones the unrequited love of the great diarist Francis Kilvert. 4
Scarlet Tiger Moths were recorded at ‘Caeau Dugoedydd’ 5 in 1994 as well as Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. 6
Interesting field names:
Cae’r pulle (pwlle) Field of pits or pools. A common field name in the area
Wern y backside
Cae’r Helygen Field of the willow
Gerddi Hirion Long gardens
Cae’r Hals‘Hals’ appears frequently locally. Possibly ‘Cae’r râls’ field with rails.
Cae’r hoywell ‘hoywal’ is a ‘hovel, any kind of outhouse for animals or storing farm implements’. ‘hoywel’, isanother possibility meaning slow-moving water or leat
Ddol y gwibed. (Ddol y gwyddbed) Meadow of midges
1. “Historic Carmarthenshire Homes & Their Families” by Major Francis Jones
3. From UKwells.org 1st Methodist Leaders meeting
4. Ruth Bidgood ‘A gentleman of the name of Jones’ part 1 Vol. 28 (1995/1996),p. 81-101.
6. Dyfed Invertebrate group http://yrefail.net/dig/DIG_Vol30.pdf
Eurwyn Jones Davies
|Current name of farm / dwelling:||Dugoedydd||Parish:||Llanfair-ar-y-bryn||O.S. Ref. No:||SN 77072 41721|
|Name of Recorder:||Liz Wakeley & Dafydd Tomos||Respondent(s):||Eurwyn Jones Davies|
|Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Map:||Dugoidudd|
|Name of farm / dwelling on Tithe Schedule:||Dugoiddudd|
|Landowners:(Tithe Schedule)||Earl Cawdor|
|Occupiers:(Tithe Schedule)||Margaret Saunders|
|Ref. No:(Tithe Schedule )||36-83 (sheep walk – 582)|
|Area in statute measure:(Tithe Schedule)||280.0.27 (sheep walk – 256.0.9) total land on tithe = 536.0.36|
|Payable to Vicar:(Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)||£1.18.5|
|Payable to Appropriators:(Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)||£7.15.8|
|Payable to the Earl of Cawdor:(Llanfair-ar-y-bryn)||£4.16.1|
|Interesting family history||Census 1841 – Margaret Saunders; 1851,1861 – Ann Williams; 1871 – 1911 – Evan Davies and family (4 sons + 6 daughters). Dugoedydd (sometimes Fawr) was such a large farm that they employed around 5 servants. Unusual in that many of these servants were from London.Other cottages on the farm in 1851 include Dugoedydd Fach Ucha; Dugoedydd Fach Isa, Dugoedydd Cottage Ucha, Dugoedydd Cottage Isa, Gelynnog (or Glynog) Tycornel and possibly others (Llwyncelyn).In 1871, Dugoedydd Fach Ucha – John Vipond, 52, a lead miner. The Vipond’s similar to the Ajax, changed their names – Vipond changing to Thomas (see Carmarthenshire Vipond website).In 1851, Dugoedydd Cottage Ucha – David and Anne Pritchard and family. Circa 1862, family left for America. One of the sons Thomas returned before emigrating to Patagonia with his cousin D. B. Williams.In 1851, Dugoedydd Cottage Isa – Sarah Edwards aged 48 described as an “Egg Merchant”.
Celynog despite the cottage being a ruin was to feature in the twentieth century in part using its name in the new forestry houses on the other side of the Tywi in the Parish of Cil-y-cwm called Tremcelynog.
Saunders are an interesting family surname. It does feature in press reports for Llandovery around the late 19th century, possible family connection.
|Any dates carved on buildings, doorways, etc.|
|Any information on World War periods. Evacuees, bombings, etc.|
|Archaeological features. Please give details and note location|
|Are any items from the farm / dwelling currently housed in a musem? If so, please give details|
|Interesting flora and fauna||http://www.llanellinaturalists.org.uk/index.php/May-1995-No-1/report-for-1994.htmlA useful record was that of a white-pinion spotted Lonographa bimaculata, seen in a lane north of Salem (22/620284) by Graham Motley (GSM) and Jackie Murphy on 14th May; it is a local species and suggested to be a recent colonist of SW Wales (Fowles, loc.cit). GSM with Jamie Bevan provided records of scarlet tigers, with one recorded at Caeau Dugoedydd (22/775416) on 12th July and ‘seven in the air at same time, perhaps over 10 individuals seen’ at Helfa Hall (22/421276) on 7th July. ??????????????|
|Association with a well-known person|
|Association with a noteworthy event||This meeting was at Dugoedydd Farm, near Cilycwm on January 7th. It was the first organised meeting of leaders of the Calvinistic Methodists. George Whitefield was invited, but he was busy. Daniel Rowland presided and apart from Howel Harris and William Williams, there were twenty other leaders.Whitefield wrote a letter with his ideas laid out and after the emeting Harris wrote, ‘We sat up until near 12 praying and consulting.’ To Whitefield he wrote, ‘Everyone agreed with your thoughts, we had much union, sweetness, concord and brotherly love together.’ (from UKwells.org 1st Methodist Leaders meeting.)|
|Features with names (e.g. streams, pools, wells, bridges, crags, slopes, woods, orchards, gardens, etc.)||The island in the Tywi is worth noting (the only island in the area!) – 5 acres in 1777 Cawdor map; only 4 acres by 1841 tithe map.|
|Other information not listed above||Dugoedydd Fawr, Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn Description: Dugoedydd Fawr Grade: II Date Listed: 25 February 1999 Cadw Building ID: 21400Dugoedydd- Extract ” In 1736 Thomas Lloyd of Dugoedydd died aged 83 and his wife Gwen died in 1745 aged 81. It became part of Campbell (Cawdor) estate, and the map-book of 1795 includes Dugoidudd farm 229 acres. The Saunders family lived there for some time. David Saunders of Dugoedydd was father of the doctor Daniel Saunders, Royal Navy, who died at sea in 1865 aged 38. In 1862 William Williams was tenant of the farm.” (Rootsweb – (Dyfed) Eleanor Williams of Llandovery).|
|Field No. on Tithe Map||Field Name on
|Field Name on
|Field Name from
|Current Field Name||Comments|
|83||Cefn clyn||Ceven Celynog||Celynog was a cottage.|
|Cae mawr ycha|
|Cae mawr Isa|
|73||Cottage + garden||73 – cottage ??|
|61||Dugoedoidd fach||Dugoidydd Vach house &garden||61 – dugoedydd fach|
|Cae’r pulle (pwlle??)|
|55||Cae isa||Cae’r Isa|
|Wern y backside|
|49||Cae’r stang||Cae’r stang|
|80||Cae newydd||Cae newydd|
|79||waun olau isa||Wern Olau Isa|
|81||Waun olau ucha||Wern Olau Ycha|
|70||Cae’r helygon||Cae’r Helygon|
|48||Baily bach||Baily bach|
|46||Gerddi hirion||Gerddi Hirion|
|44||Cae sgybor||Cae Sgybor|
|37||Cae cornel||Cae’r Cornel||38=cottage ?? Tycornel|
|39||Waun llwyn bedw||Wayn Llwyn bedw|
|40||Cae llwyn bedw||Cae Llwyn bedw|
|42||Ddol y gwelod||Ddol y gwyddbed|
|41||Cae pwll dwr||Cae pwll dwr|
|36||Waunydd cochion||Wainydd cochion|
|59||Ynys – 5.2.25||Island – 4.2.25||island|
|Total = 250acres||Total = 299..2..31|
|Sheep walk =256|
|Total tithe = 506acres|
CALVINISTIC METHODIST ARCHIVES: TREVECKA (2)
1743, May 25
Place: Dygoedydd Moderator: Daniel Rowland, William Williams
With No. 2956.
Entered in No. 2945, p.17
1743, May 19
Moderator: Daniel Rowland
1743, May 25
Place: Dygoedydd Moderator: Daniel Rowland
1743, May 27
Place: Dolyberthog in Llandrindod
Moderator: William Williams
1743, June 8
Moderator: Howel Davies
1743, June 29
Moderator: Daniel Rowland, George Whitefield
One sheet of notes relating to these meetings in the autograph of H. Harris
The following have been copied from http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/
CILYCWM HEDGING MATCH AND SHOW. The annual Cilycwm hedging match, horse show and races took place on Thurs- day on Abergwenlais Farm, distant four miles from Uandovery. The promonters were most unfortunate in the weather, heavy rain falling incessantly during the proceedings. The competitors braved the elements pluckily, and the hedging work was good consid’esring the disadvantages ,arA es they had to contend with. Some good hor- sec- were exhibited, and the races were of an exciting and interesting character. The officiate wete :—Judges (hedging), Messrs. Thomas Davies, Penybank, White-square, Llandilo; J. Harries, Pantcoy, Owrtycod- no. and J. Harries. Defecbddu. Houses and -acps, Mess’s. J. F. Rees, The Vron, Llan- dovery, and Dan Price, Llangadock. Star- ter. MT. H. V. Watkins, Tyoerrig, Llan- dovery. Timekeeper, Mr. J. Evans,, School House. Chairman ot Committee, Mr. Jas. Peters. Abergwenlais. Treasurer, Mr. Wil- fred Davies, Dugoedydd. Secretary, Mr Tom E. Williams Eryd. At the close of the contests a capitl din- ner was provided at the Neuaddtfawr Anns, prepared by Host and Hostess Roderick, of which a large number partook. The chief daises aod awards were as fol- lows — Hedging, Champion Class.—1st, Mr. Har- ries, Goedweddus 2nd and 5rd prizes divi- ded between Mr. Lewis, Brynteg, and Mr. Davies, Parkside. Horse Show. Cart MaDe or Gelding.—Is’ Mr. Morgan Williams, Divlyn; 2nd Mr, Davies, Garth.. Collier Mare or Gal ding (not exceeding 14 3 ha.nds high).—1st, Mr. Price, Caegwyn. Horse under Saddle.—1st, Mr. B. J. Davies, Cnwedeilog; 2nd, Mr. T. Grilffitii,, North Western Hotel. Pony (not exceeding 13-1 hands high).- 1st. Mr. Wiiliams, Blnentwrch; 2nd, Mr J. Morgan, HenllvE. RACEiS. One Mile Trotting Race (for horses net exceeding 14 hands high).-lst, Mr. John Hughes, Abergwenlais; 2nd, Mr. Williams Pwllpri^ldog; 3rd, Mr. James, Maes’- wilp gwandde. Two Mile Galloping Race (ope -ls Mr. Morgan Williams, Dwlyn; 2nd, Mr’ J. Price, Tynewydd; 3rd, Mr. J. Morgan Henllys. ° One Mile Trotting Race (Open).—-let, Mr. J.” Price, Tvnewydd; 2nd, Mr. John Hnghes, Abergwenlais; 3rd, Mr. M. Wil- liaans, Dmyn.
Seren Cymru 16/10/1851
DYGWYDDIAD GALARUS.—Cymmerodd dygwydd- iad galarus le yn Dugoedydd-fach, ger Rhandirymwyn, yn y swydd hon, ar ddydd Sadwrn, y 27ain o’r mis diweddaf. Fel yr oedd tri o blant wedi dygwydd bod yn y ty wrthynt eu hunain, syrthiodd un o honynt i’r tan, a llosgodd mor eclsrydus, fel y hu farw oddeutu tri o’r gloeh boren dranoeth. Cynnaliwyd treng-hol- iad ir ycorff dydd Mawrth ar ol hyny, a dygwyd y reithfarn o “Farwolaeth ddamweinioi.” Dyma ry- bydd etto i rieni.
The Cil-y-cwm Society
William became involved with Methodist experience meetings from about 1740. These were informal home groups of men and women who had been impacted by the Methodist Revival and who remained within the fold of the Anglican church. The groups were led by exhorters who discipled the new believers and encouraged enquirers. Williams himself later came to refer to them as ‘Experience Meetings’, which is suggestive of their emphasis on developing the believers’ actual experience of the reality of God in their lives. This was accomplished through the devotion of those attending to the Bible, prayer, testimony, and mutual encouragement and exhortation.
One of the earliest of such groups met at Cil-y-cwm, a few miles west of Llandovery, and it was this group to which William belonged. Initially, this group met at Dugoedydd, the home of one William Lloyd, in the lovely upper Tywi Valley between Cil-y-cwm and what was then the lead mining community of Rhandirmwyn. To my mind, it is today one of the most beautiful areas of Wales. It was here that the very first informal Welsh Methodist Association meeting was held in 1742, prior to the more formal and now better known meeting of the Welsh leaders with Whitefield at Plas Watford near Caerphilly later that same year. Records show that there were 27 members of the Methodist group ay Cil-y-cwm in 1744. Later William must often have attended meetings at the special Methodist meeting house called Soar built in 1746 just outside the village of Cil-y-cwm, of which he was a trustee.
THOMAS GWILYM PRITCHARD
Thomas Gwilym Pritchard (‘Glan Tywi’) was born on 23 November 1846 in a farmhouse called on the banks of the Tywi, parish of Llanfair ar y bryn, Carmarthenshire, one of seven children of David ac Annie Pritchard. The family emigrated to the United States c. 1862, but in late 1875 Thomas returned to Wales with his cousin D. B. Williams. After visiting various parts of Wales they went to Liverpool to join Edwin C. Roberts’s group who were sailing for Patagonia on the Vandyke. Leaving Liverpool on 25 November 1875, they arrived at Buenos Aires on Christmas morning and sailed for Chubut on the Santa Rosa the same day. He was a self taught man, a great reader and of a level-headed and thoughtful judgement, with a strong will and true to his convictions. A born teacher, he served as schoolmaster of Rawson day school, then at Glyn Du and some years later in Bro Hydref. In the period between being at Glyn Du and Bro Hydref schools he was for years an accountant for John Murray Thomas in Pen-y-bont Warehouse, Rawson. When he returned from Bro Hydref he was appointed the first accountant of Chubut Mercantile Company and served the company periodically for many years; he served as Deputy Inspector in the absence of the Chief Inspector and it is acknowledged that as an accountant he was among the best. As a cultured man of letters, he wrote fluently and naturally in a beautiful style and as a poet he was master of the craft of composing verse in both the strict and free metres while also composing humorous or satirical poems with ease. He won the Chair in the first Eisteddfod in the Treorcki area and followed it with the chief prizes for the cywydd, pryddest and englynion at Eisteddfodau in Rawson, y Fron Deg and Gaiman. He died at the home of his cousin, D. B. Williams, on 12 September 1924 aged 78. T. G. Pritchard will be long remembered as a Teacher, Accountant, Poet and Adjudicator
DAVID BEYNON WILLIAMS
David B. Williams is said to have been a native of Cilycwm, born in 1852. When he was about 21 years old he left Wales to go to Pennsylvania, but returned to Wales before emigrating to Patagonia in October 1875, arrriving in January 1876. He spent his first years on the Colony at a place called ‘Bachelor William Thomas’s Patch’ where the single people of the area received a warm welcome, convivial company and a roof to shelter from the elements. In 1879 he married Gwen
Jones, the eldest daughter of Thomas Morgan Jones, who had been born in Ystradgynlais on 20 May 1857, and returned to live in Gaiman. He was a Smith by trade and joined Robert Edward (Smith) to open a smithy. David and Gwen had a small hotel in Gaiman and a farm called Pant y Celyn in the Angustura area. David was an avid reader with a special interest in the United States. He was a cousin of Thomas G Pritchard, the Teacher and poet, with whom he travelled to Patagonia. Gwen was a skilful Seamstress and faithful to the cause of religion. They had eleven children: William (1880 but died soon alter); William Alexander (born 1881, married Ann Jones); Thomas Beynon (born 1882, a bachelor); Rachel Mary (born 1884, married Crommwell Griffiths); Emely (born 1885 died in infancy); Emely Adeline (born 1886, married Llewelyn Griffiths); John Llewelyn (born 1889, married Esther Jones); Elizabeth Ann (born 1891, spinster); Margaret (born 1893, married Daniel Williams); Morgan (born 1895, died aged 1); Sabatheg (1897, died aged 1). David B. Williams died 22 July 1835 aged 83 and Gwen died just over a month later on 6 August, aged 78.
Evan Davies (1835-1921), drover, of Duggoedydd.